State and Federal Appellate Litigation
HWG has briefed and argued a wide variety of appeals in state and federal appellate courts across the country, both where we represented a party below and where we were brought in specifically for our appellate expertise.
Our cases have addressed an exceptionally wide range of subject matters, from federal jurisdiction, constitutional issues, attorney discipline, contract law, criminal procedure, trade secrets law, insurance issues, ERISA, defamation, telecommunications law, election law, bankruptcy, and many other areas.
- Obtaining a grant of certiorari and then winning a 9-0 decision in the first major federal abstention case in the United States Supreme Court in more than twenty years;
- Representing a foreign government in Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act cases in the D.C. Circuit.
- Obtaining vacatur and a new trial in a high-profile appeal of a first degree murder conviction in the D.C. Circuit;
- Assisting a small plaintiffs’ firm in the Supreme Court and the Second Circuit in an ERISA class action.
- Successfully defending an attorney in a disbarment appeal before the D.C. Court of Appeals;
- Briefing and arguing a trade secrets case before the Delaware Supreme Court;