HWG lawyers have represented some of the largest, best-known, and most innovative names in the media sector.
For nearly two decades, HWG has represented satellite and cable operators—and trade associations comprised of satellite and cable operators—in their FCC and Congressional advocacy, as well as with regulatory compliance issues. It has provided similar advice to those developing online video systems, as well as to those in the business of distributing programming. HWG also advises clients on issues including franchising, retransmission consent and must carry, copyright, signal leakage, digital equipment requirements, and FCC and state decisions governing high-speed data.
- Represent the nation’s largest satellite television provider in licensing and other matters before the FCC, Congress, and the U.S. Copyright Office, including numerous multi-billion dollar mergers.
- Represent a trade association made up of many pay-TV providers in matters related to retransmission consent and the ATSC 3.0 transition.
- Advise investors and lenders with respect to FCC foreign ownership restrictions applicable to radio and television licenses, and ways to structure deals to meet regulatory requirements.
- Represent a major programming distributor in a variety of copyright and contractual matters.
- Represent a film studio in copyright and contractual matters.
- Represent a trade association of small cable operators in matters related to independent programming and the ATSC 3.0 transition.
- Represent both purchasers and sellers with respect to regulatory due diligence and approvals in connection with the sale of cable systems.
- Represent and advise cable companies on an ongoing basis as to franchise transfer and renewal, retransmission consent negotiations and must-carry elections, copyright, signal leakage, digital transition issues, as well a regulation of VoIP.