Aggressive state and federal pursuit of white-collar crime, and parallel civil proceedings by the Federal Government, state attorneys general, and the plaintiffs’ bar, make today’s business world more complicated than ever.
We bring experience in handling all of the multiple fronts that must be defended when a serious controversy arises, and we approach the investigative stages of such matters with a distinct philosophy: the best way to deter unwarranted charges or claims against our clients is to prepare, from the outset, to prevail against them at trial. We also defend traditional, non-white-collar criminal matters, both as part of our pro bono obligation to our community and to keep sharp the courtroom skills that underlie all successful advocacy in this arena.
Our attorneys have represented clients in civil investigations initiated by a wide variety of regulatory agencies, including the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), the Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), and the Commerce Department’s Bureau of Industry and Security. The many decades our attorneys have collectively spent in government service at executive agencies gives us a complete understanding of regulators’ concerns and enhances our ability to address them swiftly and effectively.
- We regularly represent clients in connection with investigations by federal regulators, including the EPA and the FCC.
- Represented Freddie Mac in a federal investigation into potential fraud in the mortgage securitization market and the 2008 financial crisis.
- Broad experience defending white collar criminal investigations involving securities and accounting fraud, antitrust, environmental matters, health care fraud, export control, and other matters.
- We defended both SEC and DOJ investigations and/or cases against executives at AOL in the “round tripping” investigation.
- Represented corporate officer in criminal investigation and parallel SEC investigation, other federal agency investigation, and civil proceedings, all arising from common allegations of highly complicated accounting fraud.
- Represented accountant in criminal investigation of high-profile tax fraud case prosecuted in Southern District of New York.
- Represented several executives in criminal investigation and parallel SEC investigation of allegations of fraud in accounting for online advertising.
- Represented corporate executives in criminal antitrust matter.